Author Topic: Ubuntu  (Read 9199 times)

Offline tloz128

• LV6 Super Member (Next: 500)
  • Rating: +58/-6
  • I feel asleep.
    • View Profile
Ubuntu
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:32 am »
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my old Pentium 4 desktop tonight, and I was wondering if anybody could direct me towards some good guides to help me get started. (I'm very new to Linux.) Thanks in advance.  8)
Naaa... Na Nah Na Nana Na Nah... Hey Jude!

Offline willrandship

• Omnimagus of the Multi-Base.
  • LV11 Super Veteran (Next: 3000)
  • Rating: +98/-13
  • Insert sugar to begin programming subroutine.
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:08:56 am »
Well, depends on what you want to do. First off, do you have a non-integrated video card? If so, you should install the graphics drivers for them. Don't worry about ATI, and Ubuntu will notify you if it can install the nvidia ones. It's worth it.

First thing to learn: Try to install stuff from the package manager first, before resorting to online sources.

Also, install these:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10071991/Tilp%201.14%20debs/Tilp%201.14%20debs.zip

They're all there, it's a more recent version than the one in the package manager. It's a linking manager, like TI-connect. The update is worth it, especially if you have an nspire.

Also, if you find it a little slow, you might try Xubuntu, or another XFCE-based distro. It's not quite so hard on the CPU and RAM. A P4 should run decently on reg. GNOME, though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:09:49 am by willrandship »

Offline tloz128

• I feel asleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:02 am »
Well, depends on what you want to do. First off, do you have a non-integrated video card? If so, you should install the graphics drivers for them. Don't worry about ATI, and Ubuntu will notify you if it can install the nvidia ones. It's worth it.

First thing to learn: Try to install stuff from the package manager first, before resorting to online sources.

Also, install these:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10071991/Tilp%201.14%20debs/Tilp%201.14%20debs.zip

They're all there, it's a more recent version than the one in the package manager. It's a linking manager, like TI-connect. The update is worth it, especially if you have an nspire.

Also, if you find it a little slow, you might try Xubuntu, or another XFCE-based distro. It's not quite so hard on the CPU and RAM. A P4 should run decently on reg. GNOME, though.
To be honest, I don't even remember the specs off the top of my head; I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow (I'm on my laptop right now.). I'll download those, though. Thanks!

Also, GNOME is running fairly smoothly, so I don't have any plans on changing it atm.

Offline z80man

• Casio Traitor
  • LV8 Addict (Next: 1000)
  • Rating: +85/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:23:23 am »
I'm also rather new to ubuntu too, but I actually have a rather powerful computer. I did download the 64 bit version partly because I wanted to start learning x86-64 asm code, but now I'm wondering if that was a smart choice or not because there are many driver and software issues now. I also need to get used to the new terminal which seems to be rather similar to the cmd on windows systems.

List of stuff I need to do before September:
1. Finish the Emulator of the Casio Prizm (in active development)
2. Finish the the SH3 asm IDE/assembler/linker program (in active development)
3. Create a partial Java virtual machine  for the Prizm (not started)
4. Create Axe for the Prizm with an Axe legacy mode (in planning phase)
5. Develop a large set of C and asm libraries for the Prizm (some progress)
6. Create an emulator of the 83+ for the Prizm (not started)
7. Create a well polished game that showcases the ability of the Casio Prizm (not started)

Offline tloz128

• I feel asleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:27:15 am »
I'm also rather new to ubuntu too, but I actually have a rather powerful computer. I did download the 64 bit version partly because I wanted to start learning x86-64 asm code, but now I'm wondering if that was a smart choice or not because there are many driver and software issues now. I also need to get used to the new terminal which seems to be rather similar to the cmd on windows systems.
yeah, the terminal is for sure going to take some getting used to.

Offline Jim Bauwens

• Lua! Nspire! Linux!
  • Editor
  • LV10 31337 u53r (Next: 2000)
  • Rating: +206/-7
  • Linux!
    • View Profile
    • nothing...
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:56:14 am »
For best multimedia experience, you should install the "Ubuntu Restricted Extras".
Top menu >> Applications >> Ubuntu Software Center >> search for "restricted" >> find "Ubuntu Restricted Extras" >> install it

It will then install stuff like codecs, flash, java, ...

Offline Spyro543

• LV9 Veteran (Next: 1337)
  • Rating: +74/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:23:18 am »

I have Xubuntu! And it's way better than Windows!!! :D

Offline renatose

• LV5 Advanced (Next: 300)
  • Rating: +4/-0
  • watch out the power balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 06:29:28 am »
You should try Lubuntu if it is slow ;) it uses LXDE which is much lighter that actual XFCE ;)

Offline Munchor

• LV13 Extreme Addict (Next: 9001)
  • Rating: +295/-121
  • Code Recycler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:27:34 am »
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my old Pentium 4 desktop tonight, and I was wondering if anybody could direct me towards some good guides to help me get started. (I'm very new to Linux.) Thanks in advance.  8)

Use the Software Installer to find software you might need. It's divided in categories for easier searching. I'd install Wine too if you're used to Windows.

Offline ingalls

• LV3 Member (Next: 100)
  • Rating: +4/-0
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:40:30 pm »
A really good tutorial on linux basics is provided by the ubuntu manual team http://ubuntu-manual.org/

Cheers
Ingalls