Author Topic: [WIP] Not a Number: Pareidolia  (Read 1406 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Not a Number

  • LV3 Member (Next: 100)
  • ***
  • Posts: 77
  • Rating: +9/-0
  • Did someone say, "skunk"? :D
    • View Profile
[WIP] Not a Number: Pareidolia
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:01:30 am »
Title:Pareidolia
Length:5:53

>STREAM/DOWNLOAD HERE<

Yes, I know I already had a thread for this, but that version is so old and outdated that I don't think we need reminding of it.

So yeah, this is the NEW AND IMPROVED version, that's actually going to be the proper length. Still in Sketch Form, kinda (MegaDrive synth, but actual* drums), but that'll be sorted out once I get the guitars recorded.

>STREAM/DOWNLOAD HERE<

(*sampled, just not the MegaDrive ones)

Offline DJ Omnimaga

  • Former TI programmer
  • CoT Emeritus
  • LV15 Omnimagician (Next: --)
  • *
  • Posts: 55845
  • Rating: +3151/-232
  • CodeWalrus founder & retired Omnimaga founder
    • View Profile
    • DJ Omnimaga Music
Re: [WIP] Not a Number: Pareidolia
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:37:23 pm »
Sounds interesting. As for the guitar sound is it a Sega Genesis/Megadrive sample or something else? It sounds 16 bits. I assume you plan to change it, though, right?
In case you are wondering where I went, I left Omni back in 2015 to form CodeWalrus due to various reasons explained back then, but I stopped calc dev in 2016 and am now mostly active on the CW Discord server at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF



Official Website |T-Shirt store | Reverbnation | Facebook | Youtube | Twitter | Spotify

Offline Not a Number

  • LV3 Member (Next: 100)
  • ***
  • Posts: 77
  • Rating: +9/-0
  • Did someone say, "skunk"? :D
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Not a Number: Pareidolia
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:57:24 pm »
I use a MegaDrive SoundFont as a placeholder for the actual instruments just to test out the structure, before I replace them with actual guitars. As of writing, the song itself is finished, but I'm waiting until the whole album is done before I unveil the finished song.

Offline DJ Omnimaga

  • Former TI programmer
  • CoT Emeritus
  • LV15 Omnimagician (Next: --)
  • *
  • Posts: 55845
  • Rating: +3151/-232
  • CodeWalrus founder & retired Omnimaga founder
    • View Profile
    • DJ Omnimaga Music
Re: [WIP] Not a Number: Pareidolia
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:00:09 pm »
Ok thanks for the info. You should keep a version of your other song that is entirely made of Sega soundfonts somewhere for listen, though, because I like 16 bit stuff too :P
In case you are wondering where I went, I left Omni back in 2015 to form CodeWalrus due to various reasons explained back then, but I stopped calc dev in 2016 and am now mostly active on the CW Discord server at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF



Official Website |T-Shirt store | Reverbnation | Facebook | Youtube | Twitter | Spotify

Offline Not a Number

  • LV3 Member (Next: 100)
  • ***
  • Posts: 77
  • Rating: +9/-0
  • Did someone say, "skunk"? :D
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Not a Number: Pareidolia
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:52:24 am »
Well, any Sketches that I do make are still on my FA page (just in my Scraps folder), but they're never really fleshed out as full chiptune versions to songs, they're just ideas that I try and piece together, which is why there's seldom any drums or even bass on them (bass tends to follow the guitar and drums are usually finished after the Sketch).

The only true exception to this so far is To Arms, Brothers; We Are At War! (pt II: The Rebellion), which did have a finished MegaDrive version.

Saying that, a "16-bit Remix" album sounds like a good idea... no guarantees, but we'll see.

Offline pimathbrainiac

  • Occasionally I make projects
  • Members
  • LV10 31337 u53r (Next: 2000)
  • **********
  • Posts: 1731
  • Rating: +136/-23
  • dagaem
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Not a Number: Pareidolia
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 07:15:21 am »
I like what's going on here with the guitars and bass.

The only problem I have is the drums during the verses, and it's not the pattern that bugs me, but more the soundfont/pattern combo. The open high hat is a bit too much with the soundfont you use. Not to mention that you probably shouldn't use the open high hat as the main cymbal for the pattern. I see what you are trying to do, but also open high hat is meant to be used as a break from the closed high hat, or as an effect, and should pretty much never be used as the main cymbal for a pattern. If you want a more "ringy" sound for the main cymbal of a pattern, I suggest you move the open high hat pattern to the ride.
Also the closed high hat has more pressure than there should be for a quarter-note pattern, but not enough for an eighth-note pattern. That is entirely the soundfont's fault and there's nothing you can do about it, unless there is a different patch you can use that has the closed high hat with a little less pressure. My suggestion for this: if you know someone who plays set, record them playing the set in your final recording.

That said, I like the patterns themselves. The only issue is tamber, really. Keep rocking!
I am Bach.