Author Topic: Memory Usage for the 89  (Read 6658 times)

Offline TC01

• LV6 Super Member (Next: 500)
  • Rating: +9/-0
    • View Profile
Memory Usage for the 89
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:39:44 pm »
So, after suddenly finding myself without a project to work on the other day, I resolved to come up with some relatively simple calc utility I could actually code, and then code it.

And I came up with this: Memory Usage, a 68k C program which provides nicely formatted information about how much space is used up on the system.

The AMS's MEM dialog tells you how much space is being used for different variable types and how much is free. I, however, was interested in a folder-by-folder breakdown, among other things.

The attached images summarize the current features pretty well. First, when you run the program, there are three options: "general memory info", "flash app info", and "file/folder info". The general memory info first provides usage statistics about the RAM and the Flash: mostly what you can already get through the AMS's MEM menu. However, it also shows how much memory would be freed through Garbage Collect.

The files/folders mem screen shows a list of all folders and their sizes ordered by size. Selecting a folder opens up a sub menu displaying the number of unarchived bytes and the number of archived bytes. At this point, if you select "All", it shows you an ordered list of all files in that folder; selecting "Archived" or "Unarchived" displays only archived or unarchived programs in that folder, again sorted by size.

Currently, selecting a file does nothing, just exits.

The flash app screen, like the files and folders screen, shows an ordered list of folders by size. The name of an app might be cut off, but selecting the app will display the full name, the application ID (which is a handle to some info about the app in memory), and the size in a little popup window.

It should be compatible with the Titanium, though it cannot run on anything below AMS 1.x.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:29:02 pm by TC01 »

The userbars in my sig are links embedded links.

And in addition to calculator (and Python!) stuff, I mod Civilization 4 (frequently with Python).

Offline TC01

• View Profile
Re: Memory Usage for the 89
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:45:06 pm »
After a bit more debugging and coding, here's a real release of this program. I've fixed all the weirdness that was occurring on my 89 (and improved memory usage while I was at it).

Also, with debrouxl's assistance, I added a menu for displaying Flash applications. It works much the same as the folder\file system, but selecting a flash application brings up a little popup giving the full name (the name has to get cut off for size in some places), the application ID on your system, and the size.

Hopefully, even though the 68k community is dead, someone finds this potentially useful...

And yes, I know I just made a link to an attachment in the post right above this one, but I figured it might be lost in all the screenshots.

EDIT: removed v0.2
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:34:15 pm by TC01 »

And in addition to calculator (and Python!) stuff, I mod Civilization 4 (frequently with Python).

Offline Lionel Debroux

• LV11 Super Veteran (Next: 3000)
  • Rating: +290/-45
    • View Profile
    • TI-Chess Team
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:47:23 am »
Nifty little utility indeed :)
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TILP and TIEmu.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Offline TC01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »
I've released version 0.3.

As bugs were still happening on my 89, I went back and fixed them. (The fix entailed changing the way the program determined the size of files). The new way is more optimized, and bug free. :)

I also added an option to garbage collect to the main menu (because the 89 doesn't let you garbage collect manually), and then added information about whether a flash app is "marked for delete" to it's info page. (You currently can't delete flash apps from this interface, so it should always read "0").

Offline Jim Bauwens

• Lua! Nspire! Linux!
  • Editor
  • LV10 31337 u53r (Next: 2000)
  • Rating: +206/-7
  • Linux!
    • View Profile
    • nothing...
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:48:13 pm »
Nice, should put this on one of my calcs when I have some time :)