Author Topic: Axe Undeleter  (Read 6066 times)

Offline DrDnar

• LV7 Elite (Next: 700)
  • Rating: +97/-1
    • View Profile
Axe Undeleter
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:24:50 pm »
Axe Undeleter

http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=692

An undeleter written in Axe that can undelete all variable types except groups. It does some pretty wacky things, such as abusing the files feature and doing shifty things with the VAT. It's far larger than my assembly undeleter, but this is exactly what you need if you need to undelete a picvar, list, string, or something else that isn't a program or appvar.
"No tools will make a man a skilled workman, or master of defense, nor be of any use to him who has not learned how to handle them, and has never bestowed any attention upon them. . . . Yes, [] the tools which would teach men their own use would be beyond price."—Plato's The Republic, circa 380 BC

Offline Deep Toaster

• So much to do, so much time, so little motivation
  • Administrator
  • LV13 Extreme Addict (Next: 9001)
  • Rating: +758/-15
    • View Profile
    • ClrHome
Re: Axe Undeleter
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »
Yay an updated Undeleter! Nice job on the new UI. Plus since it's Axe, you can easily back it up and restore the source :D

Offline Eeems

• Mr. Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Rating: +318/-36
  • little oof
    • View Profile
    • Eeems
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 07:42:36 pm »
There seems to be some issues with the readme. F4 will disable the skipping sections behaviour, and it seems that it is any number from 2-7 ( or 8 ) to undelete an item because 1 doesn't work.

EDIT: Actually...it seems that it does work for 1. Only after you have said not to undelete something so it shows up on the first line. Maybe adding some sort of prompt so it's easier to figure out what key to press?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:46:27 pm by Eeems »
/e

Offline DrDnar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »
It's the specific line number. Line number 1 doesn't work at first because it has the sector number there. After you say "no," the first item shows up on line 1. It wouldn't be hard to change this behavior if you look in the source.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:13:26 pm by DrDnar »
"No tools will make a man a skilled workman, or master of defense, nor be of any use to him who has not learned how to handle them, and has never bestowed any attention upon them. . . . Yes, [] the tools which would teach men their own use would be beyond price."—Plato's The Republic, circa 380 BC

Offline Deep Toaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClrHome
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:11:19 pm »
Personally I think it's more intuitive to have it start counting at one. Maybe put the actual number next to it (like 1:, 2:, etc.)?

Offline Munchor

• Rating: +295/-121
  • Code Recycler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 09:54:18 am »
An undeleter written in Axe that can undelete all variable types except groups. It does some pretty wacky things, such as abusing the files feature and doing shifty things with the VAT. It's far larger than my assembly undeleter, but this is exactly what you need if you need to undelete a picvar, list, string, or something else that isn't a program or appvar.

Undelete means like restoring deleted files? I didn't know this was possible on-calcs, I thought the files just disappeared forever.

Offline JosJuice

• LV10 31337 u53r (Next: 2000)
  • Rating: +66/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:56:32 am »
Undelete means like restoring deleted files? I didn't know this was possible on-calcs, I thought the files just disappeared forever.
All files continue to exist until you garbage collect, so retrieving old versions of files is possible. :)

Offline Munchor

• Code Recycler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 09:57:49 am »
All files continue to exist until you garbage collect, so retrieving old versions of files is possible. :)

Is it like on Windows: when we delete a file, it only tells the OS the space that file used is now free and it doesn't really delete it. So there are some programs to get files that were deleted?

Offline JosJuice

• Rating: +66/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 09:59:38 am »

Is it like on Windows: when we delete a file, it only tells the OS the space that file used is now free and it doesn't really delete it. So there are some programs to get files that were deleted?
Yes, that's kinda how it works - but Windows might garbage collect some files without you noticing.

Offline Munchor

• Code Recycler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 10:00:48 am »

Yes, that's kinda how it works - but Windows might garbage collect some files without you noticing.

Yeah of course, if I delete a file and then download a file, the download may use the other file's reserved space and Windows doesn't tell me about it.

Offline Matrefeytontias

• Axe roxxor (kinda)
  • Rating: +310/-12
  • Axe roxxor
    • View Profile
    • RMV Pixel Engineers
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 01:27:19 pm »
Can I undelete an appvar ? I accidentally deleted an Axe back-up file -_-'

Offline shmibs

• しらす丼
  • Administrator
  • LV11 Super Veteran (Next: 3000)
  • Rating: +281/-3
  • try to be ok, ok?
    • View Profile
    • shmibbles.me
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 04:19:55 pm »
An undeleter written in Axe that can undelete all variable types except groups.

so i assume so

Offline Deep Toaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClrHome
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 04:23:47 pm »
Hey, I guess I missed this when he released it. The original Undeleter's been such a lifesaver to me, I guess I'll need this too.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I didn't miss it... But I never downloaded it to my real calculator or I lost it for some reason O.o
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:24:53 pm by Deep Thought »

Offline DrDnar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 04:48:32 pm »
Can I undelete an appvar ? I accidentally deleted an Axe back-up file -_-'
Yes, it can undelete appvars, but only if it was archived and you haven't garbage collected since you deleted it.

I should note that my original assembly undeleter is much smaller. Its primary disadvantage is not being able to undelete anything except programs and appvars.

Fun fact: While writing the Axe undeleter, I had to undelete its source more than once.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:49:37 pm by DrDnar »

Offline Matrefeytontias

• Axe roxxor (kinda)
  • Rating: +310/-12
  • Axe roxxor
    • View Profile
    • RMV Pixel Engineers
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 03:32:40 am »
Ah ok, I was doubting because of the :
But this is exactly what you need if you need to undelete a picvar, list, string, or something else that isn't a program or appvar.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:33:15 am by Matrefeytontias »